- 2g BTMS-50 (2%)
- 4g Cetrimonium chloride (4%)
- 3g cetearyl alcohol (3%)
- 10g fractionated coconut oil (10%)
Heated water phase (71%)
- 39g water (39%)
- 20g seaweed hydrosol (20%)
- 10g aloe vera (10%)
- 2g hydrolyzed silk protein (2%)
Cool-down phase (10%)
- 4g polyquat-7 (4%)
- 1g cyclomethicone (1%)
- 1g dimethicone (1%)
- 2g panthenol (2%)
- 1g optiphen preservative (1%)
- 1g essential oil blend (1%)
- 0.6g geranium essential oil (14 drops) (0.6%)
- 0.4g bergamot essential oil (8 drops) (0.4%)
You will need two pyrex bowls because you will be creating two bain maries (a.k.a. double boilers)
- Weigh out the heated oil phase ingredients into a pyrex dish.
- Weigh out the heated water phase ingredients into another pyrex dish.
- Create a bain marie for each and heat to 70°C or at least until the water in the pot starts to boil then reduce the heat.
- Leave the oil phase heating at 70°C for 20 minutes.
- Put the water phase on 8 minutes later and leave it for 12 minutes.
- You can have the heated water phase on for the full 20 minutes but for a 100g batch I find that you get a lot of lost product due to evaporation so I prefer to put it on a little later.
- Remove both from the heat and pour the heated water phase into the heated oil phase immediately. Stir simultaneously.
- Continue to stir gently until the mixture has cooled down and thickened.
- Allow to cool to just more than hand hot (45°C if you want to be specific) then add the cool-down phase ingredients. To be honest 45°C is a bit more than hand but I am so scared of inactivating the cool-down phase ingredients that I would rather not risk it.
- Allow the formulation to cool completely then bottle it up.
- Always condition freshly washed hair. To make you your own shampoo see nenonatural.com/DIYshampoos.
- Condition as normal.
- If you have tangle-prone kinky-curly medium-to-long hair (like I do) wash it in twists to minimize tangling. Then undo each twist to condition the section.
Storage: The shelf life is 9 to 12 months. Store in a cool, dry place.
You might also like: