A hair dye works by either removing, replacing or covering up the color pigment naturally found in your hair. Permanent synthetic dyes are more likely to weaken and damage hair than natural dyes and temporary hair rinses.
Disadvantages of hair color
- It frequently dries hair out. And you know black hair tends to be dry enough all on its own!
- The stronger, more permanent dyes weaken hair - this is not ideal if you hair is already damaged.
- Dyes can cause allergic reactions or discolor your own skin.
- New growth looks different to the dyed hair and on some people this looks silly.
- You might not get the color you want!
- It looks cool and different
- It can thicken each hair strand thus providing more body and volume to hair - this is great if you have thin hair and want to give the illusion of thickness
- It loosens the natural curl pattern of hair. This is an advantage if you have very coily hair and find looser curls easier to manage.
The healthier your natural hair is the more it will "accept" the hair color without damage. If your hair is fragile do not apply any color before speaking to a professional.
Don't forget to deep condition at least weekly when you color your hair. A deep condition will keep the health of your hair in tip-top shape.
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
The Science of Black Hair
You might also like: What types of dye are available to color natural hair?