- Matted hair as this leads to tangling and knotting.
- Excessive abrasion and rubbing.
- Hair getting drier.
The solutions are simple:
- Spritz and moisturise hair before bed so that it's in the best condition possible. Don't use too much product so that you don't stain your sheet;
- Twist hair to prevent matting and
- Last but certainly not least, wear a satin cap or use a satin pillow case because contact between hair and cotton bedding draws moisture out of hair.
When my hair was medium length (i.e. up until just over two years of growth) I didn't always twist it before bed so I did have to deal with matting sometimes. Matting was not excessive every time but as my hair grew longer it became a real problem so I stopped going to bed without twisting my hair, even after a long night out!
Matting gets worse and worse the more nights you go to bed without twisting your hair.
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.