Washing your hair is important because:
- It is the supreme source of moisture for natural hair. Water does not dry out hair; harsh shampoos do.
- Wet hair is more elastic than dry hair and can therefore be styled and manipulated more easily than dry hair.
- A clean scalp is crucial for healthy hair growth
If wet hair is so great why NOT wash or co-wash daily?
- Shampooing strips hair of natural oils, minerals & nutrients needed for healthy hair & growth
- All the handling and detangling causes some breakage.
- The shorter your hair the more often you can wash it because it tangles less.
- The longer, thicker and more curly your hair is, the less you need wash it. It tangles more and takes longer to get greasy
That said, two or three times is plenty even if you go to the gym daily.
Some people co-wash daily, however, on my 4B/4C hair which takes me about 2.5 hours to detangle, condition and moisturise, daily simply wouldn't work. You are the master of your hair so start of with a weekly wash and adjust that if you think it's not enough.
The Science of Black Hair, pages 26, 43-4, 99
How often do you really need to shampoo? (webmd)
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.