- 2g BTMS (2%)
- 1g Incroquat CR (1%)
- 1g cetyl alcohol (1%)
- 4g baobab oil (4%)
Heated water phase (82%)
- 60g water (60%)
- 10g chamomile hydrosol (10%)
- 10g aloe vera (10%)
- 2g hydrolyzed silk protein (2%)
Cool-down phase (10%)
- 2g honeyquat (2%)
- 4g sucragel (4%)
- 2g panthenol (2%)
- 1g optiphen preservative (1%
- 1g peppermint essential oil (1%)
You will need two pyrex bowls because you will be creating two bain maries (a.k.a. double boilers)
- Weigh out the heated oil phase ingredients into a pyrex dish.
- Weigh out the heated water phase ingredients into another pyrex dish.
- Create a bain marie for each and heat to 70°C or at least until the water in the pot starts to boil then reduce the heat.
- Leave the oil phase heating at 70°C for 20 minutes.
- Put the water phase on 8 minutes later and leave it for 12 minutes.
- You can have the heated water phase on for the full 20 minutes but for a 100g batch I find that you get a lot of lost product due to evaporation so I prefer to put it on a little later.
- Remove both from the heat and pour the heated water phase into the heated oil phase immediately. Stir simultaneously.
- Continue to stir gently until the mixture has cooled down and thickened.
- Allow to cool to just more than hand hot (45°C if you want to be specific) then add the cool-down phase ingredients. To be honest 45°C is a bit more than hand but I am so scared of inactivating the cool-down phase ingredients that I would rather not risk it.
- Allow the formulation to cool completely then bottle it up.
- You can moisturize hair that has just been washed and conditioned or hair that has notjust been washed.
- If your hair is very dry, a spritz with water before applying the moisturizer will help with product take-up.
- To make you your own shampoo see nenonatural.com/DIYshampoos, to make your own conditioner see nenonatural.com/DIYconditioners.
Storage: The shelf life is 9 months. Store in a cool, dry place.
You might also like: