1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Allison from New Orleans (USA) - the Big Easy!!
2. What is your hair type?
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in 2010. I’m an older natural and I notice due to hormonal changes my hair was starting to break off and I had thinning spots around my temples.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Finding products that would keep my hair moisturized and healthy. A lot of products are fluff and scent but I wanted healthy options for my hair.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I make an ayurvedic treatment for my hair using Cassia, Amla, Brahmi etc.
I will always clarify my hair once a month to remove product build up from the scalp and hair. I ALWAYS follow up with a deep condition and my final rinse is done with a Tea Rinse. The deep condition/tea rinses are NON NEGOTIABLE.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I recently big chopped my hair again into a tapered look, so I moisturize the sides and the back and use a sponge to make coils around the sides and back.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Moisturize and seal my entire head, I use the LOC Method (Liquid, Oil, Cream).
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Before cutting my hair for the 2nd time I used heat 3x since returning to my natural state
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I am allergic to the hair used in braided styles even after soaking it in vinegar so, no.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Fingers, on wash day wide-tooth comb.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I wear my hair in a loose style.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
As I mentioned earlier I am allergic to the add-in hair regardless of whether it's synthetic or human and even though I took steps by soaking in vinegar it irritated my scalp. Right before my tapered cut I decided to get a protective style done. My scalp was instantly so sore and itchy that the next day I had to take the style out. I noticed my hair had severe damage and my scalp was sore to the touch. I made a tea rinse using herbs that I knew were soothing to the scalp. I had been considering a tapered cut for a while and with the damage done to my hair it was the perfect excuse to get my hair cut and I LOVE IT!!! The hair will grow back and I have a stunning hair cut.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Keep your hair moisturized, when you find products that work for you keep using them, don’t become a product junkie. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise not just for hair growth but for a healthy life style.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: