1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is D. Marie and I am originally from North Carolina.
2. What is your hair type?
I have a mixture of hair types. My hair is 4a, 4b,and 4c in some areas.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I first decided to go natural back in 2009. I transitioned for two years then cut off the remaining relaxed ends. I still would wear it straight sometimes because I didn’t know how to do natural styles. I big chopped for the second time back in 2014 because of the breakage that I experienced after going to a salon.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing for me was to accept my hair for what it is. For a long time I compared my hair to other naturals that I see on social media. I thought that my hair was supposed to look a certain way. Natural hair is so versatile and beautiful in every way.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I wash my hair once every two weeks with a sulfate-free shampoo and deep condition with any conditioner that I have at the time. Depending on how busy I am I keep my hair in twists until I am headed out to work or out with my honey.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
In the morning I like to take my time taking out my twists, which is my go to style. I always oil my hands before I take them out. I use coconut oil or olive oil to prevent my hairstyle from frizzing up.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night I sleep with a bonnet on.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I use heat on my hair from time to time but not too often. I sometime stretch my hair with a blow dryer and style. I sit under my hooded dryer to intensify the deep conditioner also.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
The last time I braided my hair was last year in 2015. It was braided in a top knot. I wear braids once in a blue moon.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I use both wide tooth combs and a Denman brush to detangle my hair.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is normally loose. I do protective styles when I am staying in for the day.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I have had several hair tragedies in my lifetime. One of them was when I had my sew-in cut out of my hair along with my real hair. To recover from it I carried on with my hair regimen as normal. Luckily my hair was thick enough to camouflage the bald spot that was at the top of my head!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
To maintain healthy hair my biggest tip would be to listen to your hair. If your hair is dry moisturize it. If your hair needs a trim cut it off. Hair has a way of telling us what may be wrong and we must listen.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: