1. What's your name and where are you from?
De Johnson - Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex
2. What is your hair type?
Hair type is naturally nappy and loving it - I have has several types. it's a different type on the top of my head, in the back and on the sides therefore I like to refer to my hair as either naturally nappy OR kinkly, coily and curly hair type. [3C, 4A]
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
August 1980 - When I was a teen I begged my Daddy to get a perm on my virgin natural hair. Once I put the perm on my hair it started and continued to just break off throughout my high school years. So after I graduated from high school I decided to do a big chop because my hair was extremely damaged and had broken off due to the perms and harsh chemicals.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Finding the right product for my hair was the most challenging thing for me. I'm now a product junkie because I'm always looking for the right product that works best for my hair - I've realized as I grow older my hair changes as well.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I wash 'n go using only conditioner to wash my hair, that is, I follow a no-poo regimen.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I finger comb my natural hair and applying a dab of leave-in conditioner to my damp hair to restore my curls.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I don't have one.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Maybe 2 times a year just to wear it straight.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
No, my hair is too short I like my TWA style.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide-tooth comb just to detangle my hair - but I comb my hair with my fingers so I that I do not disturb the curls.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I'm wearing a TWA so loose.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
YES of course, I've experienced bad hair cuts from the many years of wearing my natural hair. It's challenging to find someone who knows how to cut natural hair into a style.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Why do we try so hard to fit in when we were born to stand out - maintain a healthy lifestyle, drink plenty of water, eat healthier foods and exercise those are the key factors to having healthier hair - basically, you are what you eat.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: