JoAnna, New York City, USA
2. What is your hair type?
I made the decision to return natural the day I relaxed my hair after transitioning for 7 months. Overall, being natural was more cost-effective, I was bored with straight styles and I wanted a new look.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
In the initial transitioning process, it was caring for both hair textures.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I pre-poo my hair with coconut oil by Applying the product directly on my scalp in sections, massage using the tips of my fingers and finger detangling to remove shed hairs. I usually cowash. If I have product buildup, I use a clarifying shampoo and follow up with my staple conditioners. I always wash with my hair in sections. The last step is the L.O.C method. With my hair still in sections, I unravel each twist and apply a leave in, oil and twisting butter. If I am doing a wash and go style, I do not use the L.O.C. Method. I skip the oil and cream and only apply the leave in. It depends on my mood if I apply gel afterwards.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
My hair is mostly in a protective style. If it's not taking down twists for a twist-out, it's just to spritz my hair with a leave-in or water,conditioner and oil mix.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I use an oil to massage my scalp (castor or coconut oil) and spritz with a leave-in. I sleep with a satin scarf on my head.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Only when I get a trim twice a year.
I braid my hair quite often. I do a lot of braided up-dos. I add extensions occasionally.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Both tools have been beneficial for me with my hair styling.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
The majority of the time, I have a protective style. It's just easier to manage with the busy lifestyle I have. I wear my hair loose on weekends and sometimes special events.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I used to have a dry scalp. After doing research, I switched up my regimen, increased my water intake and used more oils and it it controlled now.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Patience. I never thought my hair was growing fast enough and after comparing pictures even within the same year, I see a difference.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.