1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is LaNeshe and I’m originally from Connecticut, now I live in Philly.
2. What is your hair type?
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I got my last relaxer in May of 2008. After taking some African American studies classes and really starting to think about the standards of beauty that are imposed on black women I decided that natural hair was more “me” than a relaxer. Also, I was tired of the money, time, and pain I would spend getting my hair relaxed at the Dominican salons.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Definitely the transition phase. I never big chopped, so for a long time I was dealing with two separate textures, which was much harder to manage than when my hair was 100% natural.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
On Sundays I wash my scalp with Shea Moisture shampoo or just co-wash with Tresseme Naturals depending on how dirty my hair has gotten during the week. If I have used shampoo I think follow up with Tresseme Naturals as a rinse out conditioner. I then moisturize with Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave in, follow that up with coconut oil, and then seal with the Karen’s Body Beautiful butter. Depending on how I plan to wear my hair for the week I’ll put in media twists for an eventual twist out or twisted flexi rod set, flat twists for a flat twist out, or small twists to just wear.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
If I’ve prepped for an “out” style I unravel my twists or rods then fluff. If I’m wearing small twists I leave them be or pin a portion of them up.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
If my hair feels dry I spray with water and/or Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist, then use some Shea Moisture Restorative Conditions. Tie my hair up with a satin scarf.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Maybe once a year I’ll blow dry it.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I put in my own Marley Twist extensions about twice a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Neither! Fingers detangling only.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
85% of time it’s in a protective type style, it’s out about 15% of the time, usually on weekends.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Thankfully I’ve never had a tragedy!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Make sure you are putting water on your hair. Hair needs water and water based moisturizers. You can’t moisturize with an oil alone. Hair absorbs products better when it’s a bit damp.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: