1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is LaShunda Ford and I am from Long Island , New York.
2. What is your hair type?
My Hair Type is 3C
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I reverted to natural hair on January 19th, 2011. At the time I was living in North Carolina and had become frustrated because I was unable to find a Dominican Salon. My hair was relaxed and was trained to get a wash and roller set and then blow out. After not having a salon nearby for a while I began to allow my hair to grow out the relaxer, and wore a full sown in weave. After many months of frustration I decided to shave all my hair off and start my journey. Recently in December 2013 I did my 2nd Big Chop.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Although it was not a low period for me, the hardest part was transitioning and the different textures.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My weekly regimen is to pretty much wash, and deep condition every seven days. Before each wash I style in either wash and gos or two strand twists.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
My daily regimen is style and go, take off my bonnet and allow my hair to do it's own thing. Of course if it was a look for twist out, I separate the twists and style.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
For my nightly regimen if I don't sleep with my satin pillow, I sleep with a silk bonnet.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I have used heat on my hair in the past prior to my 2nd big chop. Since big chopping in December 2013 I am growing off my hair and will not be applying any heat this time around.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
As for braiding my own natural hair I tend to braid for desired braid outs often. Braiding with extensions is my go to protective style, which at least four times out of the year I wear. Mostly box braids and just alternate the length, from very long to shoulder length.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is usually loose
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
My Hair tragedy was when I decided to use color. After going to a professional salon my natural hair was stripped and bleached. From that point on my curl pattern changed, although I was in love with the bright color, my hair changed completely. The best thing for me was to just grow the color out.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Since Big Chopping a second time I've learned less is better. We often think that the more products we apply the faster your hair will grow. In all reality the less you do, of course wash n deep condition but just allow your hair to grow. Take the best care, set a regimen, love it and it will grow.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Myavana Hair App (Free download able to upload as well see other natural and relaxed hair styles.
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: