Hey I am Lorien, I live in the West Midlands area, more so Birmingham UK.
2. What is your hair type?
I generally don't categorise my hair in the 'hair typing' system, I never use it to determine what I should use in my hair. But I do have fine hair with a lot of density.
I went natural about three years ago, this was my second time around. I spent more of my childhood and adult years being natural rather than relaxed. I generally get frustrated with my relaxed hair. I was never a fan of straight hair and felt the only way to get curly hair was not to relax it. However, when I first went natural, there wasn't all these great resources available. At the time regimen and products were not a priority; I didn’t know anything about retaining or sealing in moisture or natural hair products. I just used the same products I use when I was relaxed.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
I would say the most challenging thing for me is managing the recurring split ends I encounter since going natural. It has always been an issue for me and I struggle to control them even with trims hence I don’t retain as much length in the three years as I would have liked to.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
- I pre-poo weekly with pure coconut oil.
- I shampoo with whatever shampoo I have Giovanni, Audrey Organics or BeUnique, I try to stick to natural organic brands.
- I am trying to deep condition more often now with the hope of combating those dreaded spilt ends. I sometimes put together a home treatment which comprises of oils, usually olive oil, coconut oil or castor oil, I then add mayonnaise, avocado, banana and molasses, depending on what I have. I do buy deep conditioners but I don’t have one that I’m loyal to.
- I sometimes switch things up and use bentonite or rhassoul clay.
- I would then rinse my hair with Apple cider vinegar mix with water.
- I then twist with BeUnique Mango Twist and seal with an oil
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Hmm not much of a morning regimen but I spray my hair with my little concoction of aloe vera juice, coconut oil, olive oil and water and that's it and that’s sometimes when I remember!
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
The same as the morning, hair is spritz then I sleep on a satin pillow case or I sleep in a satin cap. If my hair was out all day I would just spritz and re-twist
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
No! I've only blow dry my hair once in the last three years and I've never straighten it. Not that I would discourage anyone from straightening their hair but I have very fine hair so I don't bother, further to that, I rather my hair curly than straight
Braiding?! Hmm not much, limited manipulation is done to my hair. I occasionally will do a style that involves a little braiding at the side, back or front but that's it
10 Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I have recently adopted the finger detangling method before that my preference was the wide tooth comb but for whatever reason I own two Denman brushes.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Work it would most likely be in twist, weekends or going out loose
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
No I can’t think of any in the last three years. When I first went natural, I remember using a lot of bleach and colour, as a result my hair was just breaking or rather coming out. Can’t remember what I did to recover, as at those times I didn’t know what I know now. I probably put it extensions (braids) and let it grow it out.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
I don’t know about tips for long hair as I haven’t reached that ‘long hair stage’ yet but my tip for healthy hair is having patience with your hair, develop a regimen and get to know your hair, then you know what it needs e.g. a trim, more or less moisture. Also a healthy diet helps a lot with healthy hair; a lot of people tend to forget this.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
- Blog: naturalstruttingit.com/blog/
- Facebook: facebook.com/Midlandsnatural
- Instagram: @naturalstruttingit
- Twitter: @NaturalStruttIn
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.