MelissaChanel! I'm from South Carolina, but I currently reside in NYC.
2. What is your hair type?
Honestly, I have several different types of hair so just classifying it to one type would be unfair. I'm like a 3b in some areas and a 4 in others.
I started my natural hair journey in 2008 after graduating from college and my stylist explaining that I didn't need relaxers.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Getting my family on board, they weren't fans at first.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I wash my hair twice a week (sweaty head from the gym) and deep condition once a week. Using Kurlee Belle's natural hair care line.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I recently chopped all my hair off so my regimen is get up and go!! (Be jels, lol)
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I grab my bonnet and slap it on. I'm very minimal when it comes to night time care and again, I recently cut my hair short so this makes it much easier.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
When my hair was longer I would twist on blown out hair once a week, as long as I used a heat protector no damage was caused.
I tried box braids last year and fell in love, I say I get my hair braided about twice a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
OMG, when I first went natural I thought I could just get up and go, I hadn't combed my hair in MONTHS! I remember cutting and detangling my hair for hours.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Wash, YES WASH your hair, deep condition weekly and get those ends trimmed!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc)
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.