1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Sola, also known online as DiscoveringNatural. I am from Houston, Texas, but originally from Nigeria.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair is kinky, curly, and coily. Ranging from type 4a, 4b to 4c.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
After transitioning for a year, I decided to cut my relaxed ends. I went back to being natural after having a relaxer since I was 13 years old. I have 2 girls, ages 9 and 5 years old, and taking care of their hair, I grew to love their natural texture. My oldest had a texturizer in her hair and I transitioned her. I wanted them to be proud of their hair, and how could I teach them when I was relaxed. So, I decided to go natural.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging aspect of going natural is understanding my hair. Sometimes, my hair is really finicky. Knowing that I have to treat it well and even when I do, it might be unruly. LOL!
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Weekly, I cowash my hair and also follow-up with a deep conditioning session. At the end of the month, I always do a Bentonite Clay treatment to clarify my hair. I love doing Bentonite Clay treatments.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Every morning and evening after washing my face, I always moisturize my edges because I have very fragile edges. At least every other day, I moisturize my entire hair using the LOCS method. I have a video on my channel showing how I do this. I spritz a mixture of water and aloe vera juice and then apply some oil, then a moisturizing cream and end with putting my DIY shea aloe butter on my ends.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night, I moisturize my edges. If my hair is in a twist out, I either pineapple it or I do a multiple roll and tuck. (Video also on my channel). I always cover my hair with a silk scarf or satin bonnet. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I do not directly apply heat to my hair. Occasionally, I use a hooded dryer for my curlformers set or for a more intense deep conditioning or hot oil treatment.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I do not braid my hair with extensions.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I usually finger comb my hair.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is protected in twists or flat twists or cornrows or updos during the week. During the weekend, I wear my hair out.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Luckily for me, I have not had a hair tragedy. **fingers crossed*
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Having a regimen has helped me in maintaining healthy hair. I strive mostly for healthy hair, knowing that when my hair is healthy, the length will show.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc)
You can find me on my blog: DiscoveringNatural.com
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: