1. What's your name and where are you from?
Shaakira Barber. I’m originally from Louisville, KY
2. What is your hair type?
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
Surprisingly, this is my second time going natural. My grandmother wore a big afro in the 60’s and I came across a photo of her and saw the resemblance of our facial features and fell in love. From that moment on I knew I wanted to keep my natural look.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing would be maintaining a straight and sleek hairstyle. Often times when I get my hair pressed it only lasts for that day, due to humidity here in the south.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My weekly regimen consists of washing my hair with Taliah Waajid Clean N Curly Shampoo, The Great Detangler & The Curly Curl Sealer for my wash and gos.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
My daily regimen consists of Lou Ana’s Coconut Oil, African’s Best Herbal oil and oil infused (Argan Oil) water sprayed onto my hair everyday for styling.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
My night time regimen consists of using a satin bonnet and satin pillow to sleep on in case it decides to slip off. I tend to be a wild sleeper.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I rarely use heat on my hair. Since I’ve been natural I’ve only straightened my hair twice.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I do braid my hair. I love the box braid protective style, Havana twists and the braided Mohawk hairstyles. I get my hair braided 5-7 times a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I love my Denman Brush!
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is normally loose.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
The only hair tragedy I’ve experienced is when I went to the barber to get my afro “trimmed”. I got out of the chair looking like I was a part of the Jackson 5! It was a clean cut and beautiful for that particular moment. The following week I washed my hair and noticed that majority of my loose curls were saturated due to getting the cut. In order to fully recover my hair, I went straight to the box braid protective style, took plenty of biotin and massaged my scalp with coconut oil, to ensure it would grow back to its natural state.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip would be less manipulation of the hair, drink plenty of water and eat a healthy balanced diet.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: