1. What's your name and where are you from?
Shakira Wallace from Brooklyn, New York.
2. What is your hair type?
I think I would be considered a 3c/4a, but I have a lot of different textures in my head to be honest.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in December 2011 and Big chopped in Dec 2012. I went natural because I couldn't find a hair stylist who I trusted to do my hair, and then I fell in love with my natural texture and stopped straightening and applying heat all together.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Learning to accept myself as beautiful without straight hair. I noticed as I went natural I was wearing make up far more often and thinking that something was off with my outfit or my look. It took time to realize that my mind was what was off and then even more time to embrace myself.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I co-wash/detangle my hair weekly and cleanse when needed. I used to cleanse monthly but have noticed sometimes my hair wants to hold on to that moisture so I've started just listening to what my hair wants.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I just take down my twists, fluff and go.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Most nights I'll put my hair into twist just to prevent excess tangling.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
No, I don't use heat.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I haven't installed braids or twist in some time, but when I do have them installed it is never for more that 6 weeks and always with 4 weeks off to give my hair a break.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is protective styled during the week and loose during weekends.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I haven't had a hair tragedy while natural (thank you youtube). However I had twists in 2010 when I was still relaxed and I maintained them poorly. The result was I lost a lot of hair due to build-up and not knowing how to detangle. Honestly because of my lack of hair knowledge I just prayed for the best and threw in a weave. Luckily for me time heals all wounds!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Moisture and low tension. All our hair needs is for us to listen and give it TLC!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: