My name is Shalana (SHUH-Lane-UH), and I am from South Carolina.
2. What is your hair type?
Mostly 4a with a tiny bit of 3c.
Well, I didn’t get my first relaxer until I was 13 (2004) so I was well aware of my hair’s thickness and length potential. I kept up with my relaxed hair until 2011, and after 4 months of transitioning I did my first big chop (currently growing out big chop number 3 from 2014). I went back to natural because I was tired of my boring, straight hair.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
I didn’t/don’t find going natural challenging.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Depending on the week, I alternate between co-washing and shampooing. After cleansing my hair, I use the LOC method to retain moisture, and lastly I style my hair for the week. I’m really into braid outs at the moment.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Remove my satin bonnet, shake, fluff, and go! If needed, I’ll refresh my hair with a light mist of water and a light oil.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I just stuff my loose hair into my satin bonnet most nights, but occasionally I will do medium to large braids or twists and then put on my bonnet or scarf.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, but not often. I flat iron my hair once or twice a year.
Yes, I think braids are a great protective style. I may braid my hair two or three times within a year. I would like for it to be braided up more often, but it takes a while to do and I start to miss my hair soon after it’s braided (the struggle lol).
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is loose about 90% of the time.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Nope, I’ve never had a hair tragedy.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip for maintaining healthy hair is consistency. Find products and a regimen that works for you. As far as long hair, with health comes length. You have to be patient and not focus on the length of your hair. Protective styling and protecting your hair with a satin bonnet, scarf, or pillowcase also helps with length retention.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.