1. What's your name and where are you from?
Hey, everyone! My name is Sherelle and I live in NYC.
2. What is your hair type?
I'm mainly a 3C curly gal with a front middle portion of my edges that have a mind and curl of their own.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I decided to go back to natural in 2011 after being inspired on Tumblr by HeyFranHey. And also out of the sheer laziness of no longer wanting to spend my Sunday evenings frying my hair with a flat iron.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Finding products, establishing a routine, and figuring out which styles worked well with my lifestyle took quite a bit of time. I only figured out my hair could last in a wash n go for more than a day a year and a half ago and I've been natural for nearly five years!
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I have more of an every-five-days-regimen right now, haha! Every five days, I cleanse/co-wash my hair, deep condition after every cleanse (ranging from 10 min-3 hours depending on time), apply a leave-in/curl styler, allow my hair to soak in the product and air dry for 30 minutes, diffuse, fluff, then go!
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
While pretending to be the lead singer at a sold out concert and vibing to my music, I fluff my fro while my hands are coated in a hair oil. If my hair isn't feelin' it that day, I'll throw it up in my go-to half up-do and bang style.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I tie a simple silk scarf around my hair to create a pineapple.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
About once or twice a year during the cooler months: Once to straighten and once to make a curling rod style.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I create my own braided/twisted protective style without extensions about once a season. And once a year for the past two years I've gotten either box braids or Senegalese twists.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Denman brush all the way. Or, better yet, fingers. They're free!
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
About 99% of the time, my hair is down in a wash n go style.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
During my last texturizer (and you'll see why it was my last), I got burned so badly that I couldn't undo my doobie wrap the next morning since my scalp had oozed so much that my hair was stuck to it. LAST TEXTURIZER/PERM EVER. After that I stopped going to salons to get my hair straightened altogether and went down the route of self-care and I haven't looked back since.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Consistency, moisture, deep conditioning, satin pillow cases, and trimming fairy knots/split ends. I know that's several tips but they're all super important!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: