Sherri, The “Carolina Girl”.
2. What is your hair type?
My last relaxer was the night before my wedding, July 2010. For me, it wasn't a conscious attempt to “go natural” … I wanted to learn how to style hair without the aid of a professional. Also, I’d just completed a financial training course, and put myself on a strict budget… Through this, my love for DIY was born.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging part – by far – is finding elegant styles that are appropriate for business environments.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I don’t really have a weekly regimen… Meaning there isn't a list of things I do each week to maintain my curls. I’m more of an “as needed” kind of gal.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
In the morning I typically spend 10-15 minutes taking down a twist out, a twist & curl, bantu knots, etc.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night is where the magic happens! Most nights (especially weeknights) I’ll lightly mist my hair with a water/oil mixture (section by section). Afterwards, I’ll proceed with flat twist, or bantu knots. Then I’ll wrap my head in an old t-shirt. Not sexy, but effective!
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, some mornings my twist out or knots haven’t dried completely. In these situations I’ll sit under a hood dryer on low heat for 30 mins. I also use heated rollers whenever I’m going to a formal function, or whenever I strive for a fuller twist out.
Yes, I braid my hair – not often. Maybe once or twice a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide-tooth comb, but mostly my fingers…
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Loose in the fall/winter (or low humidity days), protective styles, updos for rainy days and/or Summer.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
No, not that I can remember
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Cleanse and Moisturize: I use a Baking Soda/Water mixture to cleanse my hair & Scalp along with an Apple Cider Vinegar/Water Mixture to keep my dandruff at bay!!
I suffer from a dry scalp and itchy scalp. So keeping my scalp moisturized is a must! I use an oil mixture (olive, grape seed, almond, vitamin E, and jojoba). Any variation of these (nightly) works wonders for me!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.