1. What's your name and where are you from?
Tina Kelley from Houston, Texas
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is Curly with a side of Kink.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
This is my second time natural. I did my second big chop in September 2013.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing about going natural for me was understanding that most of my friends and family would not accept it. They just didn't understand why I wouldn't perm my hair. When my hair was permed it was so pretty to them, but in its natural state they didn't like it at first.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Every week I cowash, and deep condition my hair. I only shampoo it once a month or when I have product buildup.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Every morning regardless of the style I spritz my hair with a water and mixed chicks leave in conditioner mix.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I pineapple my hair if it is a wash n go, perm rod set, or any roller set. However, for twist outs or braid outs I usually just wear a bonnet.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I used heat for the first time since my big chop last week. I got a silk press to monitor my hair growth, and because I needed a haircut.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I have only has braids in my hair with extensions twice in the past 3 years. Other than that I do braid outs every couple of months.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I use both! When I am in the shower conditioning my hair I use the wide tooth comb to detangle. However, when I am styling my hair I use my denman brush faithfully.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I do lots of perm rod sets in the winter time, but during the summer months I love wash n go's.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes, unfortunately I had a hair tragedy. The first time I was natural I got a Keratin treatment so that I could switch from curly to flat ironed hair whenever I wanted. I didn't take into account that I have a much tighter curl pattern in the back than I do in the front. When I would wash my hair the back would revert back quickly while the front stayed straight as a board. I could no longer do twist outs because the hair in front would simply unravel. After months of unsuccessful curly styles I shaved my hair off with the clippers and started over.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip is to deep condition your hair whenever you have a few hours around the house. You have to act like your hair is dying of thirst so you need to constantly moisturize it. Moisturized hair is healthy hair and it breaks less often than dry hair.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: