- 76% monounsaturates (oleic and palmitoleic acids)
- 12% polyunsaturates (linoleic and linolenic acids)
- 12% saturates (palmitic and stearic acids)
Avocado has the highest vitamin E content amongst fruit, according to the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition in California.[ii] Most fruits, being much higher in water than fat, contain higher levels of water-soluble vitamins e.g. A and C than fat-soluble vitamin E.
1. Saturated and monounsaturated fats in avocado oil easily penetrate the hair cuticle thereby providing support to and strengthening the hair fibre. Only Jojoba has a higher concentration of monounsaturated fatty acids than Avocado oil.
2. The high concentration of monounsaturated fibres helps to retain hair moisture inside the cuticle.
3. Avocado oil helps to revive hair that has been dried, damaged or weakened by styling, relaxing, heat-styling and even environmental pollution. So if you have split end or frizzy hair, avocado oils would be a great addition to your hair care regimen.
4. Avocado is a light oil so it is easily absorbed by the scalp (and skin in general); it’s lightness makes it very useful as a base for essential oils (e.g. thyme, lavender, rosemary and cedarwood); essential oils cannot be applied to skin directly, however, their much more useful if diluted in a carrier which is itself rich nutrients such as avocado oil
5. The combination and concentration of monounsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants (e.g. vitamin E) and phtosterols helps to nourish, protect hair, stimulate growth and unclog blocked follicles.
6. Some argue that avocado oil can also help with hair loss and dandruff problems.
These are the hair benefits, however, note that avocado oil has many other benefits including helping to clear acne and soften dry skin.
High in monounsaturated fatty acids, sterolins (reduce age spots, help to produce more skin collagen) and omega-3 fatty acids (help protect skin from UV rays).
You might also like:
THE best oil for natural hair. A mega summary!
The supersonic benefits of argan oil on natural black hair
8 Benefits of Castor oil for natural hair & a warning!
6 top benefits of coconut oil - a MUST for every natural hair regimen!
8 great benefits of jojoba oil on natural hair
5 benefits of sweet almond oil on natural hair
[ii] Why is avocado oil good for skin? (Livestrong)
[iii] Avocado oil and hair growth (superfoodprofile)