If you keep using a product with non-soluble silicones (silicones that don't dissolve in water) in it whilst you're on a co-wash only regime they build up on your hair leading to dry, dull hair that is difficult to manage.
This means that you need to avoid products with those silicones and to only use water-soluble silicones.
Water-soluble silicones will not build up on hair because they can be washed out with just water. The most common water-soluble silicones are:
- Dimethicone copolyol
- Hydrolyzed wheat protein (hydroxypropyl polysiloxane)
- Lauryl methicone copolyol
- Silicones with PEG listed before it
If you want to know which silicones you need to avoid read:
- What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Silicones To Natural Hair?
- Why Isn't Your Natural Hair Looking Shiny?
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.