Microfiber (or microfiber here in Britain) is a synthetic fiber that is finer than one denier - this diameter is smaller than a strand of silk.
A microfiber towel is less fluffy than a regular cotton towel but is actually much more ideal for drying hair because:
- It absorbs water much more rapidly without the need for rubbing;
- You don't have to rub your hair to get the water out so there is minimal friction between the towel and hair fibres - less friction means less breakage;
- Hair that's been wrapped in a microfiber towel will dry a lot faster than hair that's been wrapped in a regular towel;
- Microfiber doesn't produce lint (bits of white fluff). Lint from regular towels causes hair tangles.
- It helps to reduce hair frizziness.
After washing my hair I give it a gentle squeeze to get rid of the dripping and then I wrap the microfiber towel over my head and let it get to work. You don't need to rub or scrunch at all. A gentle pat over the surface is enough.
Where can you get a microfiber towel?
I got links to the top rated microfiber towels on Amazon.com and .co.uk below. I have Mimi's Diva dryer. It's what I have on my head in the photos.