Hard water can be very damaging to hair. It contains a large quantity of minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron and copper) which bind to hair and block products from working effectively.
Hard water could be damaging your hair if you notice one or more of the following:
1. Your hair gets very tangled after washing
2. Your colour-treated hair fades easily or turns brass-like and dull quite rapidly
3. Your hair's breaking and nothing appears to be able to stop it
4. Your hair is highly unresponsive to treatments, e.g. if you relax your hair it doesn't even straighten well
5. Your shampoo doesn't lather. Note that some natural shampoos don't lather anyway so if it's a new shampoo that isn't lathering, that could also be the issue
6. Your hair's always dry and it just won't respond to anything
You might also like:
The 3 best ways to protect your hair from hard water!
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
The Science of Black Hair, pages 73-5
Hard Water Hair Damage?
Hair Treatment for Hard Water
23/6/2014 09:24:41 am
This post is so relevant. When I lived in Pennsylvania, we had hard water. It affected our hair and teeth. it was really bad on my hair. Thankfully we don't live there anymore, and I can tell the big difference in my hair. Thanks for the post!
Comments are closed.
I now blog about wealth creation - so if you have any money questions meet me there, you can do all sorts of cool things like leave me a voicemail.
By Heather Katsonga-Woodward
I was a natural hair blogger and mixtress living between London & Chicago from 2012 to 2017. I always thought I was 4C but some say 4B; images below - you decide! Heather xx