I am into aromatherapy so this has always been part of my medicine drawer because it's great for inducing sleep and relaxation. Why is lavender so good for hair?
1. Regenerative. When you have irritated your scalp with combs, scratching, too many products etc, lavender oil helps to restore the scalp to its original state.
2. Soothing and calming effect on scalp. Inflammation caused by bad weather and bad products is repaired.
3. Great as an anti-itch agent due to its soothing effect.
4. Stimulating effect. Lavender oil penetrates cells in the scalp after it’s been massaged in and there it nourishes and improves blood circulation. Improved blood circulation brings more nutrients and oxygen to hair follicles. Roots and the hair shaft get nourishment faster and hence quicker growth is stimulated.
5. Cleans the scalp. Lavender oil dissolves dead skin and dandruff which can then be easily taken off when you wash the hair with some removed by the very act of massaging. As a powerful disinfectant it will also help to rid your scalp of lice, lice eggs, nits, fungi, viruses and other microbes.
6. Great natural fragrance. I don't like hair products with "fragrances" other than essential oils. I avoid packages that say "fragrances" because I don't want to add any unknown, unnatural products to my hair. Synthetic materials can damage and break hair.
7. It's great for relaxing. To cure insomnia or to improve the quality of sleep that you get, mix lavender oil up with a base e.g. sweet almond oil and get your guy or gal to give you a massage :). Good sleep makes for good hair growth.
Where can you get lavender oil? Health shops and pharmacies.
How do I use lavender oil?
For my hair, I had c.4 drops of lavender to a base oil - currently jojoba, but I intend to try out other oils as well - then I massage the lavender into my scalp using the flats of my finger. Occasionally, to facilitate absorption, I cover my head in a shower cap. The extra heat helps your skin to absorb the oil.
In addition, when I make my own hair conditioners, I add about 4 drops.
How often do I use it? Almost daily.
Follow me @NenoNatural and check out Neno Natural's Haircare Store.
Comments are closed.
I now blog about wealth creation - so if you have any money questions meet me there, you can do all sorts of cool things like leave me a voicemail.
By Heather Katsonga-Woodward
I was a natural hair blogger and mixtress living between London & Chicago from 2012 to 2017. I always thought I was 4C but some say 4B; images below - you decide! Heather xx