Rosemary is one of my favourite essential oils for massage. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's beneficial for hair growth too - why?:
1. It contains vitamin A which is much needed for hair growth.
2. It stimulates hair follicles and growth by increasing blood circulation to the scalp (like lavender) thus improving delivery of oxygen and nutrients.
3. It soothes dry flaky scalps and can help with dandruff issues (anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory).
4. It's good as part of a hair conditioner, apparently its helps with softening hair.
5. It prevents premature greying of your hair(!) and can help to darken hair that is already greying or lightening in colour.
6. It helps to reduce hair loss and thinning. Rosemary is one of the oils that was used in an experiment in 1998 by scientists in Scotland to see if essential oils can help to reduce alopecia. They did.
7. It smells fabulous.
How to use rosemary oil for hair?
Add 3 to 4 drops of rosemary oil into 30ml of a base oil and massage it into the scalp; I personally use it as one of the four essential oils in Neno Natural's Hair Growth Stimulator.
You can also extract the amount of shampoo or conditioner that you want to use from a bottle and add 3 to 4 drops of rosemary to that. I wouldn't add it directly to the shampoo bottle so that you don't permanently change the entire bottle's ingredients.
Important note: do not use rosemary oil if you are pregnant, epileptic or suffer from high blood pressure. Except under these circumstance, rosemary oil is not toxic.
References: the-herb-guide.com, buzzle.com, livestrong.com, hairthickeningproductsblog.com.
Follow me @NenoNatural and check out Neno Natural's Haircare Store.
I now blog about wealth creation - so if you have any money questions meet me there, you can do all sorts of cool things like leave me a voicemail.
By Heather Katsonga-Woodward
I was a natural hair blogger and mixtress living between London & Chicago from 2012 to 2017. I always thought I was 4C but some say 4B; images below - you decide! Heather xx