1. What's your name and where are you from?
Alicia Gettys. Birmingham Alabama
2. What is your hair type?
Don’t really know my hair type. I care more about my hair being healthy than trying to classify my curls has one type
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
Transitioned in 2013. Fully natural in 2013. There wasn’t a monumental thing or an epiphany. I use to wear my straight hair in lots of curly hairstyles. Saw that in between perms, my curl pattern was something I liked, so I went for it.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Dealing with the humidity in the South during the spring and summer months. Moisturizing is key. I would find myself moisturizing my hair daily just to make sure. Winter also plays heavily on hair moisture but it doesn’t get that cold down here.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Oil treatment (4 hours), Shampoo, Deep Condition (8 hrs), Apply product, wear bun overnight and into the next day (hair is still wet). Wash and go’s can last 4-5 days depending on weather and my workout routine for that week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Dampen hair with water, apply EcoStyler to curls, pull back into low pineapple, get ready for work, take down and shake
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Nothing much. Pull up into pineapple and either put on Satin cap or sleep on satin pillow (most of the time it’s the pillow)
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I protective style with perm/flexi rods 5-6 times a year (use low heat). To straighten my hair, I use large rollers for a roller set (med heat) and hit the roots if needed. I will straighten my hair 3-4 times a years. Always apply a protein treatment before straightening my hair.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Not that often 4-5 times a year for crochet braids or when I’m wearing a wig.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Fingers! If I absolutely had to pick one it would be the comb.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
2015 was all about the protective styles. I was trying to grow my hair. I would say 80% of the time, my hair was put up. This year it’s the completely opposite. 80% of the time, I rely on the wash and go.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
No. Thank Goodness
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Moisturize your hair. Find what works for you and stick with it. In a world where we are bombarded with the newest natural hair product, we have a tendency to ditch what we are using and go to the ‘trend’ products. If something works for you and your hair, stick with it. You hair is different from everyone else’s and it’s important to remember that when you find out what works for them doesn’t work for you. Doesn’t make your hair better or worse. Just different.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: