10 Tips on How To Detangle Natural Hair With Minimal Breakage (great for both kids and adults)
1. Detangle when you have two or three free hours, e.g. when you're watching TV.
2. Do not detangle dry hair. Spray the hair with just water then add some detangling cream or a leave-in conditioner or even a rinse-out conditioner to soften the hair further, even if you're about to wash. You don't need much product, a little goes a long way.
3. Use a high quality wide tooth comb with smooth edges.
4. Don't detangle on an empty stomach, you're only going to rush and do it badly.
5. Move section by section. 4 to 12 sections should be enough depending on the thickness of your hair and how tangled your hair is. Even if I don't pin my hair up I don't attempt to work on all the hair in one go. I focus on one area at a time.
6. Ensure that your fingernails are well manicured and that you don't have any dry skin that hair will get caught on to.
7. Detangle with your fingers first. Fingers are better able to navigate knots.
8. Work your brush or comb from tips to roots. I have also discovered that finger-combing only is not for everyone. If you have very thick or course hair you need to use a comb and possibly a brush to some extent. Thin, fine and loosely curled hair fares much better on a finger-combing only routine.
9. Twist the detangled section so that it doesn't retangle or get mixed up with hair that has not yet be detangled.
10. Always detangle before you shampoo hair and then again after you have applied conditioner. Remember that damaged hair is more prone to breakage than healthy hair so handle weak and damaged hair with extra care :)
1/2/2013 08:01:57 am
Hi, my natural hair is short so to comb i usually use comb Afro is that ok?!
Heather @ neno natural
2/2/2013 03:15:38 am
2/2/2013 03:27:30 am
You can use an Afro pic but just make sure your hair is very moisturized.
2/2/2013 05:40:10 am
Heather @ Neno Natural
4/2/2013 05:47:17 am
30/1/2014 02:56:23 pm
I'm relaxed and I wanted to know if your comb will work on my hair to use as an everyday styling comb? Is it sold in stores or anywhere else besides amazon?
11/3/2015 02:13:38 pm
11/3/2015 03:24:08 pm
my hair is very very short so I just use my fingers before I sampo and after. hair now is growing taking better care of hair.
11/3/2015 07:29:00 pm
Neno aw! thanks sweetheart.For sure detangling hair with your tips helps somone not to lose much hair.
11/3/2015 09:02:04 pm
I recently noticed that my hair has broken down to a nub right at the top of my head. Any advice, it had done this before that's why I went natural but nowhere else breaks but there.
12/3/2015 12:20:46 am
I just love reading your hair and beauty tips! Everything is so useful!! Keep on keeping on, and stay blessed!!
Comments are closed.
I now blog about wealth creation - so if you have any money questions meet me there, you can do all sorts of cool things like leave me a voicemail.
By Heather Katsonga-Woodward
I was a natural hair blogger and mixtress living between London & Chicago from 2012 to 2017. I always thought I was 4C but some say 4B; images below - you decide! Heather xx