BkAphrodite from Brooklyn, New York
2. What is your hair type?
I transitioned for 11 months in 2011 and then did my Big Chop on March 16th, 2012. I decided to transition because I had never had short hair and was scared it wouldn't look good. Though I got the courage to cut of my permed ends but instead I ended up with a big chop. I embraced it none the less.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Getting to know my hair again, it is still bit of a challenge today trying to learn my hair. It has a mind of it's own, so listening to what it wants can be challenging.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I usually shampoo and condition my hair, detangle, add a leave-in, oil, followed by a style(mostly a puff).
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
If I have a puff, which most times I do (sadly), I'll just hop in the shower let some of the steam get in my hair and fluff it out.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I pretty much just put a satin bonnet or scarf on and dream on.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I try not to add heat but getting my hair done with some braided styles have led me to apply heat occasionally.
I try to have my hair braided up as much as possible , to retain length and moisture. I would say about 70% of the year I have a braided style.
10 Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I usually stick to my wide-tooth comb.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Most of the time it is loose, but I will be trying to keep it in protective styles most of the time.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
OH GOSH!! I think about it every time. When I was transitioning, for the first time ever, I had gotten box braids. About 3 months had passed and it was time to remove the braids. I did that and hopped in the shower to wash. Little did I know that I would be in for the trashy of my life! I hadn't combed out the build up lint and dirt that had accumulated, so detangling was heart breaking. I literally was detangling for 2 hours and yes, I shed some real tears. I may have even destroyed some strands. It was one of the worst hair moments EVER!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
I'd say getting to know your hair and what it likes. That will keep you on the path to healthy and happy hair.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
- Blog: AphroditeKinks.com
- Store: Aphroditekinks.bigcartel.com
- Twitter: @AphroditeKinks
- Facebook: Aphrodite Kinks
- Youtube: BkAphrodite
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.