My Name is Candace Sheppard. I was born & Raised in NYC and currently live in Miami, Florida.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair is a mixture of patterns & textures running between 3C & 4B.
I went natural in the Spring of 2006. I was pregnant with my daughter and wanted to lay off the chemicals. Miss Jessie's brand was beginning to spread and peaked my interest, so I started my transition.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Finding products that suited the multiple textures on my head as well as products that didn't aggravate my scalp. I discovered later on that I was protein sensitive and needed only minimal light-weight products.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My scalp is sensitive so I cannot tolerate a lot of build up. I wash & condition my hair every 3 days unless it's in a protective style. I can extend protective styles (if I didn't use product) for up to 1 week before washing and re-styling.
2-3 times per month I use deep conditioning treatments and I am sure to keep my hair protected to retain length. My regimen is very simple.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Depends on the day and where I am in my styling process, it always varies depending on what kind of style I'm going for.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Simple. Wrap it up in a satin scarf and cover those ends.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Very, very rarely. In a year I may straighten my hair once a year.
I braid my hair all throughout the year for low maintenance/long term protective styles and quick styles.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide tooth comb. Hands down, Every time.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Protective do. Most people are shocked that my hair is curly when I wear it out. lol.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I'm blessed to say I have yet to have a tragedy. I maintain, trim and style more own hair.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Leave it alone. No heat, no manipulating styles, just regular moisture and satin everything. That and time does the trick for everyone. No matter your hair type.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
- website: modelmisfit.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/versetleone
- Twitter: @versetle1
- Instagram: @versetle1
- YouTube: youtube.com/versetle1
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.