1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Kelsie Lyn as I'm originally from Columbia, South Carolina but I currently live in Southern California.
2. What is your hair type?
I have a mix of 3c and 4a hair; more 4a.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I started my journey to return natural in 2008 when I graduated from high school. At that time, I wasn't working a lot in the entertainment industry so I thought it would be the perfect time to transition. When I had a relaxer, I used to wear my hair straight down or straight back or straight up. Either way it had to be bone straight. My mom told me one day she would give me $20 if I teased my hair and when to bible study like that and I did. That was the start of my change.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Learning that my hair was resistant. It took me about 2/3 years to learn what porosity was.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My regimen is weekly or no-weekly. I prepoo with coconut oil and massage my scalp with JBCO. I shampoo once a month and Cowash the other 3 weeks. I always deep condition and then set my hair in flat twist for elongation after adding a creamy leave-in and hair butter. During the week if needed, I refresh moisture and re-twist.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Wake up and go (I sleep on a satin pillow case so I don't always cover my hair) or if it's freshly washed or fresher, take down the twist.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Go to bed usually; if I want to stretch my hair, I put it in two low pony tails (it can go in a pineapple but because of my length, shrinkage and hair type, it over stretches and "undefines" my curls); or fresh and retwist.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Only for deep conditions and hot oil treatments. My hair is easily heat damaged.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I braided it more when I first transitioned. Now I probably braid it 2/3 times a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
BIG PICK LOOKING wide-tooth comb.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Loose though for my hair goal I am going to start doing more protective styles.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
The worst would be growing out my edges that were thin from the relaxer I previously had, only to lose them again when I did a fashion show and the hairstylist kept spraying chemicals on my hair. They got pretty long too (I was pissed).
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Be patient, love YOUR hair, and give it what it needs. If you don't know, then learn.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: