1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Melissa Small, a Jamaican born natural hair enthusiast who now resides in Queens New York.
2. What is your hair type?
Hair type is 4C.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
On June 10, 2015 I was one year completely natural. I started transitioning May 21, 2014 because of my love for big healthy hair.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing for me would be the whole transitioning process. Dealing with 2 completely different hair textures was a lot of work. But the end result is all worth it.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My weekly regimen would definitely be to deep condition weekly. My 4C hair needs a lot of moisture and this does it for me.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Daily morning regimen varies depending on the style I'm wearing I wear a lot of protective styles so I just get up and go. When my hair is in twist for plaits definitely a little coconut oil and separate and use my good ole pick!
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
If my hair is already styled in a twist out I do the pineapple method and put on my satin cap.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes I use heat when I weekly deep conditions, I sit under a hooded dryer. I did blow out my hair after one year of being natural but that's about it. I've never flat ironed or anything like that. At least not yet.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Yes I love some box braid long and short. I do this quite often about 3-4 times a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Both!! Wide tooth comb mostly in the shower or when I wash my hair and denman brush while twisting or plaiting to make sure all the knots are out.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Half and half I do both.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes when I first big chopped I was uncomfortable with the length of my hair so I immediately installed a weave and flat ironed my leave out. Bad idea!! Heat damage!! I'm still recovering slowly by clipping off those damage ends.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip I would say is deep conditioning often. Find a regimen that works for you and stick to it. This can make your 4C hair so manageable.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: