1. What's your name and where are you from?
Hi! My name is Roshell D. (kinkycurlsLA). I’m Los Angeles born and bred.
2. What is your hair type?
Hair typing isn’t my thing. I have kinky curly hair. [NenoNatural: perhaps 4A with some 4B?]
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
On September 24, 2011, I chopped my hair off. I use that as my official “I went natural date”, although my hair happened to be natural already. I went “natural” because of frustration and convenience.
On August 31, 2013, I big chopped again to save time maintaining my hair. The second time around I went with a tapered cut. I’m currently growing it out because I miss my hair.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Tuning out the noise others make about your decision is a challenge in the beginning. While I learned my hair and how to maintain it, people showered me with questions and compliments. Unfortunately, most skeptics were family and friends. Compliments often came from strangers and other races. [NenoNatural: so often the case!]
5. What is your weekly regimen?
For the last month or so, I wash and deep condition once a week. I blow dry my hair, install Curlformers. If the curls look bad before wash day, I pull them up into a puff or do a twist out.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
The morning is easy breezy. I refresh the style by fixing misplaced hair, create more volume with a pick comb if anything has been flattened from sleeping, then I go.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I pineapple my curls using a silk scarf and it’s time for shut-eye.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes. I have flat-ironed my hair about 6 times in the last 3 years. In the beginning I avoided blow-drying, but for the last four months I have been blow-drying my hair often instead of air-drying.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Yes. So far, once or twice a year, I install box braids.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Finger comb! When I had a teeny weenie afro, the Denman brush saved my life.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
It’s normally loose. I try to keep my hair moisturized to avoid damage. Every once in a while I wear protective styles.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Hair tragedy? Not since being natural. I have had bad hair days and I just alter the style. For example: If my twist out is horrid, I put it in a puff or pin sections up.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
To maintain healthy hair you have to maintain the hair. Keep a clean scalp, moisturized hair and healthy ends. Drink lots of water and eat well, healthy hair starts on the inside.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: