1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Taylor (or you can call me Taylie) and I'm from Virginia.
2. What is your hair type?
I am in the 4 family. I have 4a in a small patch in front and nape of my neck and the rest is a mixture of 4b/c.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in my senior year in high school (2011). I did it because my hair had started breaking off severely from a perm that I didn't properly care for. I started doing my research and decided to transition.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Hmmmm, probably all the trial and error that takes place. All the time and money spent trying to find the right products and regimen that suits your hair can be frustrating and expensive. That's the part I hated.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I cowash once a week and deep condition on the weekends. I try to keep my hair in protective styles and out of the way so that it's safe from harm of the elements and the fact that I play in it all day lol
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
If my hair is in a braid out or twist out, I coat my hands with coconut oil and untwist my hair then style and go. If I'm being lazy, which is most of the time, I throw on one of my wigs and go about my day.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Ughhh I hate doing my hair at night! But usually, I spritz my hair with a little bit of water and follow up with an oil or moisturizer depending on what my hair needs and I proceed to style.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, I blow dry my hair a couple of times a month when I wanted a stretched style. I rarely straighten my hair, maybe every two years or so.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Maybe like once a year. I just don't like the amount of time it takes to do individual braids.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I use both, but I've been trying to use tools less and my fingers more. It's more gentle on your hair that way.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Protective! I loooooove protective styles because it keeps my hair safe from wear and tear, it's not bothering me and it make my morning and night time routines easier.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
When I got a perm one week and put braids in the next. Dumbest thing I've ever done. When I took those braids out a month later, so much of my hair came out with it. That's when I began to transition to natural. I also got heat damage my sophomore year in college, but I just took that as an opportunity to cut my hair off and try something new.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Paying attention to your hair and keeping it moisturized. Know when its time to give your hair a break, know when you need your ends trimmed and know when you need intense treatments.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. We'd love to hear your natural hair story. Enter.
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy:
Click To Buy: