1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is AnnMarie B & I'm from NYC.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is mainly 3c.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural & stopped perming my hair about 10 years ago but it's been 2 years since I've embraced my curls 100% & went heat free! Honestly, I came across an interview that SZA (recording artist with awesome hair) did with vogue & I totally fell in love & instantly started missing my natural curls.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing about going natural was me & my self esteem. I was so conscious of what people would think of my hair, it was super short & curly & I felt so insecure. It took me a while to get over it & once I did that's when CoolCalmCurly was created. That's when I knew there's purpose in my hair journey.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I make sure to steam my hair & pre poo overnight with a coconut/avocado oil mixture. I wash my hair with a sulfate free shampoo once a week, in between I'll cowash if needed. I also deep condition & style my hair once a week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
My morning routine is a breeze, I just take it down from being in a pineapple, give it a shake, pick my roots a bit & I'm out the door!
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night I massage my scalp for 3-5 minutes & then I pineapple my hair with a satin bonnet to preserve my curls.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
The only time I use heat is when I'm doing a steam treatment or sitting under my hooded dryer while deep conditioning.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I haven't braided my hair in years! High school is the last time I can remember braiding my hair.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide-tooth comb all the time.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is usually out. Here & there I'll twist it up or put it in a bun but 9 times out of 10 it's out.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I had one of the worst experiences ever: I battled with eczema when I was younger & it spread to my scalp. One day I got a perm, wash & set and wrapped it. The next morning I had sores all over my scalp & my scalp pussed so badly that my hair stuck together. Stuck together to the point where I couldn't even unwrap my hair! I had to use a medicated shampoo/conditioner for about 6 months. That was the day I stopped perming my hair.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Moisture is key! Dry brittle hair isn't going to do anything but break. Make sure weekly deep conditioning & incorporating daily moisture is a priority. Create a hair routine & stick to it!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Comments are closed.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.