1. What's your name and where are you from?
Hi, my name is Appolonia and I was born in Brooklyn, NY and raised in Trinidad and Tobago
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is a little crazy. It's 3C, 4A, 4B and 4Z in the middle lol.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural for many reasons. In 2012 I had severe hair loss due to Lupus. I decided to transition to natural hair because I didn't think I would be comfortable doing a big chop. After transitioning for a few months I was so eager to see my natural curl pattern (And I had a little mishap while washing my hair lol) so I chopped off all the relaxed ends and rocked my natural hair.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
After I did my big chop a part of me was unhappy because I felt like I was nothing without long hair. I had to deal with the negativity from society and my family which was really the most challenging part. I was always known as the dark skin girl with long relaxed hair but now I'm known as the beautiful black woman with beautiful kinks!
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I keep my regimen very simple. I cowash and deep condition my hair every Sunday. If I feel like I have a lot of build up I wash my scalp with apple cider vinegar. Every other Sunday I add oil rinsing to my regimen and that's pretty much it.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I do something called the shake and go method (I think I made this up lol). I literally get up, spray my hair with my moisturizing mist (water, aloe vera juice and coconut oil), shake my hair and leave the house.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I pull my hair up into a pineapple and tie my hair down with my satin scarf.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
The only heat I allow my hair to get is from my deep conditioning process under my dryer. Other than that I don't use any heat in my hair.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I've been natural for a year and for this past year I've braided my hair 3 times. Once for a cute protective style and the other two times I just had big braids under my wigs.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
My fingers lol. I own 1 wide tooth comb. I haven't invested in a Denman brush because my fingers get the job done.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Normally loose but because winter is soon approaching ill be doing more protective styles.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
While in the shower during my transitioning stage my hair got really matted. I just said to heck with it and I chopped my hair off. That's the day I became natural lol. So I turned a tragedy into a triumph.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
My biggest tip will have to be patience. Love your hair and the journey you're embarking on. It's going to have good days & bad so have a little patience and enjoy the ride.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.