1. What's your name and where are you from?
I'm Benedicta Odekanmi, I'm from Ibadan, Nigeria.
2. What is your hair type?
My Hair Type is 4b/4c but mostly 4b.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I started my Natural Hair Journey April 2013. I decided this was best for me because my hair never really relaxed. It puffed up after about a week. I wanted to try something different.
I transitioned and I'm still transitioning. My relaxed end fell off mostly because I wasn't into healthy natural hair journey for about a year.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
I think it was finding out for myself how to take care of my hair. I did a lot of Google searches. Google is my best friend lol.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
It depends on my hairstyle. If I have braids or faux loc on, it would be the same as the daily regimen. If it's just my natural hair. It would be co-washing, moisturizing or protein deep conditioning and tea rinse/beer rinse.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
My daily morning regimen is spraying from my spray bottle a mixture of water, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other oils, Aloe Vera gel and Leave In conditioner. I follow with Oiling with my Oil Mix and sealing with my Shea butter mix I make myself.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
My daily night regimen is to spraying with water and oiling before bunning my hair. Then I put on satin scarf.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes I do. When I do straw curls. This is about 3 times a year. I air dry every other time.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I braid my hair about 4 times a year with extensions.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide tooth comb sometimes. This is when I have to go to the salon and have someone else do my hair. Other times I finger detangle. Denman brush is when I want to have slick edges.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Mostly loose. I seldom do protective hair dos.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I would say this happens everytime I try something new that doesn't come out well. I just resolve into packing the hair in an interesting style.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Oiling. I love natural and essentials oils on my hair. Oiling helps to strengthen the hair strands and prevent split ends. I use mostly Coconut Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Amla oil, Neem oil, Grape Seed Oil, Hempseed oil, Sweet Almond Oil and Tea tree oil.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.