1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is DaJonitta Williams but my friends call me DJ. I’m from Spring, Texas (a suburb of Houston, Tx).
2. What is your hair type?
I’ve never been big on typing because it seems like I have so many different textures. I believe I am 3c and 4a.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in November of 2007. It was my first year of college at Xavier University of Lousiana and I saw so many women with natural hair. I fell in love. It wasn’t as popular as it is now, of course, but I wanted to try it. I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to work towards a “new me”.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Finding what works for my hair. I watched YouTube, spent money on things that didn’t work for me just because others promoted it. It took me a while to find what my hair likes.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I’m big on protective styling so I usually will co wash my hair with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, deep condition with Generics Biolage conditioner then put a few big twists using Qhemet Biologics amla heavy cream. I will leave the twists in for a day or two so my hair fully air-dries. Then I will wear in a bun, down or put back in twists throughout week. I cowash every other week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I usually will spray water to spruce up my curls then maybe run a bit of leave-in through my strands if I feel it looks dry.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Pineapple and satin cap. Even if I am rocking my twists, I will pineapple so they are stretched. If I feel like my hair is dry, I will spray some water and seal with castor oil lightly.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Very seldom. I may blow dry if I need my hair to dry overnight, otherwise I haven’t straightened my hair in over 2 years. I sit under a hooded dryer with my deep conditioner and a plastic cap twice monthly for about 30 minutes each time.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
No braids, only twists without added hair. I will usually do this once or twice a month, so aboud 20 times a year.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Neither. I don’t use combs or brushes.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Probably protected 60% of the time and loose the other 40%.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes! I had my hair straightened for my college graduation and after washing it that weekend, I noticed a huge patch of short hair near my crown. I was so sad. I kept my hair moisturized and stayed away from heat and it slowly grew back. This is why I’m hesitant about letting people loose on my hair!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Deep Condition every time you wash and try to use a hooded dryer or diffuser.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.