1. What's your name and where are you from?
Dawn Gibson-Thigpen. I am originally from Michigan. However, I currently live in South Florida
2. What is your hair type?
I think I am more like a 3c/4a.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural about 4 years ago, due to extreme over processing and weaves.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Nothing really! I didn't really have to much of a choice. One day I looked in the mirror and I didn't have a bang! I stood there for a moment and said out loud, "Wow! you look like Homey The Clown"! I can laugh now, but at that time I was totally destroyed! #eyeopener!
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I usually co-wash every two weeks with a simple conditioner, then I also condition with Tea Tree Tingle (Trader Joe's) leaving it in for 5 to 15 minutes; it really helps to detangle the hair. After that I apply a mixture of Olive Oil/Hair Food Product, Aloe Vera Gel (Trader Joe's), Shea-Butter Miracle Moisture Intense Bouncy Curls Pudding (African Pride) and either twist my hair or section it off into 2/3 big braids depending on the style I will be wearing the next day.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
In the morning, regardless of the hairstyle, I set the night before, I will just run some Olive Oil or a Hair Food Product through my hair, and then fluff, separate, or finger detangle depending on the style.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I apply a mixture of Olive Oil/Hair Food Product, Aloe Vera Gel (Trader Joe's), Shea-Butter Miracle Moisture Intense Bouncy Curls Pudding (African Pride). Then I stretch my hair by either twisting it or putting it in 2 or 3 big braids depending the style I am wearing the next day.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
No so far, but I am not against doing so.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I would say 50/50
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes! For many years I had really pretty thick hair (permed). However, due to overprocessing and weaves it broke off really badly. I wasn't bold enough to chop off what I had left and wear it natural then, so I wore wigs for 3.5 of the 4 years I have been natural. I recently came out to the world. LOL.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
To ensure you only comb your hair when it is moisturized. When combing take your time and don't rush the process, when you do rush there seems to be breakage. Also, when you find a great product stick with it.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.