1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Dephne Madyara, I live in the UK and was born in Zimbabwe.
2. What is your hair type?
I'm a type 4c
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
After years of damage from relaxing and colouring my hair, it was beyond damaged and thin and the best thing to do was to cut it all off and start afresh because no amount of conditioning and treatments was going to rescue it from the effects of damage. So sometime in October 2012 I randomly cut it all off until I was left with about an inch of hair.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Learning how to care for and manage my hair was very challenging the first couple of years. Understanding what products to use, how to comb it without breaking it, what regimes worked, how often to wash and condition it. It's all been a bit of trial and error but I'm now at a point of contentment.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I'm currently on a water only regime for a couple of months and I was my hair every 2-3 days with water then braid it under the shower. I then oil my ends with natural organic oils, mainly coconut oil.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I don't really have one because of the regime I'm currently on. I simply wear out my hair in a braid out.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Depending if it's wash day I follow the weekly regime, otherwise I tie my hair up before bed.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes and the last time was about 5 months ago. I try to do no more than once every 2 months.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I braid it a lot, braid out are my go to hairstyle.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide tooth comb, I tried the den an brush and it Bastille pulled out my hair. Perhaps because of my very kinky hair texture.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I wear lace wigs as protective styles in winter and wear out my hair in spring, summer and autumn.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes! About 2 years ago I African threaded my hair then washed it with the threading on, when I went onto remove the threading my hair was severely matted, like dread locs! I spent weeks undoing it and there was a lot of breakage in the process! It was really a tragedy but now I now what not to do!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Moisture moisture moisture! Water is the best moisture for type 4 hair, just dampening your hair with it and sealing with oils and spraying water on your scalp goes a long way for retaining good hair health.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.