1. What's your name and where are you from?
I'm Donyell Johnson, and I'm from Greenville, SC but currently reside in Nashville, TN.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is a Mix of 3C/4A.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in 2012, I hated going to the beauty salon and I also sweated out my relaxers thanks to Cheerleading in high school. Plus I wanted something new.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing about going natural is the transitioning stage and then finding the right products once you're natural. It's hard trying to handle two different hair textures. Once you become natural you're clueless about what products to get for your curly/kinky hair since it's all new to you.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I wash and deep condition my hair every week. I deep condition with coconut oil, castor oil, and Trader Joes Natural Spa Conditioner. Then after I deep condition I wash my hair with Trader Joes Natural Spa Shampoo and Conditioner.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I spritz some water and add coconut oil to my hair.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Honestly nothing, I just make sure I put that bonnet on my hair before I go to bed. haha
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, sometimes when I do a wash n' go I blow dry my hair with a diffuser. I also flat iron my hair once or twice a year.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I do not braid my hair.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Denman brush is the way to go!
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
It is normally loose.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
This is not like a huge tragedy but when I was pregnant with my daughter I was too weak to do my hair. I finally tried doing my hair one day but I got tired. I left my hair wet and kept a towel on my head for the next two days...my hair was so tangled. I spent hours deep conditioning it and it was still tangled, it took me hours to detangle my hair. After I got my hair detangled I had to cut it thanks to damage. I trimmed/cut my hair 3 times while I was pregnant because I was just too weak to take care of my hair which obviously causes damage. Thankfully all I did was drink water and eat healthy while I was pregnant since I wasn't taking my prenatal vitamins, so my hair is actually longer than what it was before I got pregnant.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Drink lots of water, eat healthy, deep condition once a week, and keep your hair moisturized.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.