1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Fatima Farmer and I'm from Paterson, New Jersey.
2. What is your hair type?
Somewhere between 3c and 4a
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I've actually never had a relaxer, but I used to wear my hair flat ironed for about 6 years. In 2007, I was inspired by Tracee Ellis Ross and Teyana Taylor so I started experimenting with my natural texture. I had severe heat damage and I had to "transition/big chop" in order to get my natural texture back. By 2010, I was 100% heat damage free.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
When I started wearing my hair in it's natural state it wasn't as "acceptable" as it is now. I was in high school so I was teased a lot. All of my peers had weaves and relaxers, but I had a huge fro. I didn't have anyone to connect to in real life. So I used myspace and websites to see people with hair like mine.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Hmmmm, depends on my mood or the event to be honest. For the most part I make sure I do a deep conditioning treatment, I cowash/detangle and mainly rock wash & go's for about 5-7 days. I only restyle during the week if I have a special event to attend. Otherwise, it's pulled back or in a puff.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Take down pineapple, shake/ fluff and apply some gel on my egdes.That's really it...I like to keep it simple.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Very simple! I put it in a pineapple and tie on a scarf. That's if I'm not being lazy, some days I just go to bed and hope for the best lol
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Yes, whenever I get the itch to wear a blow out or straight hair I go for it. It's not very often though maybe 3-4 times per year.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I've had braids twice over the past 4 years. They aren't really my thing, but like I said above if I get the urge...I go for it!
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide-tooth comb all day!
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Loose, in a huge fro. The bigger the better!
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes, heat damage and color damage. Both times I just cut it off and grew it back. It's just hair, so it's never really a tragedy in my opinion just a "learning experience".
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Deep Conditioning every single week. It really helps when it's done consistently.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Comments are closed.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.