1. What's your name and where are you from?
I’m Genesis Torres and I currently reside in South Florida
2. What is your hair type?
It’s definitely multi-textured between types 3c & 4a
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I decided to go natural in March 2012. I had decided to really fall in love with the natural curls that I was blessed with because I owed it to myself to feel and know that I was beautiful the way God had made me.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Combating Breakage, anxiety over hair growth (not growing fast enough or not the way I envision in my mind) and not comparing my hair journey with other naturals.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I deep condition weekly, I co-wash 2x per week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I refresh my curls with water and a leave in conditioner and I mostly wear my hair in a wash n go.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I massage my scalp with coconut oil, I detangle with a leave in conditioner and or coconut oil and sleep on a satin pillow case.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I use direct heat VERY VERY SELDOMLY! I know what has helped a lot with the growth and health of my hair is staying away from direct heat as much as possible. I do use a bonnet dryer sometimes to set either my perm rod or flexi rod sets.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I do not leave my hair in braids however I do style my hair with a braid out set as a protective style and to elongate my curls.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Wide-tooth or even better for me my fingers, I find using my fingers to detangle is safer for my hair and they’re FREE
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair normally in in either a wash n go or twist out style.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Since I’ve been natural I can’t say that I have , but I did get a bad haircut when I was a child (way way too short )
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Lay off direct heat –keep the flat iron and blow dryer away!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.