1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Juliet Marz and I am from Connecticut, but I reside in New Jersey.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is 3c.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went back to being natural in 2012. My hair was boring, limp and wouldn't grow like it should. Growing up, I had hair to my waist that got extremely curly when wet, but My Mom would brush it out all the time. I started to remember how curly my hair could be and I've always loved BIG curly hair, so I decided to do a mini chop because I hadn't used heat or gotten a relaxer in over a year. All I was wearing were buns.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing was my hair being so frizzy for the first few months,the shrinkage(my hair shrinks up to about 75% of its actual length), and I didn't enjoy how short it was. After I did the mini chop, my hair came down to my shoulders, but I'm not a fan of having short hair so it bothered me a little then I got used to it.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
I co-wash my hair every 4-6 days. I wash my hair once a month or sooner when I feel the need to clarify. Whether I wash or co-wash, I always deep condition. Always after cleansing my hair, I massage some JBCO into my scalp, then continue with the LOC Method which I loveeeee!
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I just take my hair down from a pineapple and go.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Honestly, I just put my hair in a pineapple and sleep on my satin pillowcase.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Never ever ever ever ever do I use heat. I haven't used heat since before going back to natural. I don't see myself using it in the future. In my opinion, it's not worth the damage.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
No, I never braid my hair. I have a sensitive scalp, and I'm scared of the damage it could cause to my edges. No offense to those who do. Braids look beautiful on others :)
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
My fingers. Every once in a while I may use a wide tooth comb, but that just started within the past 6 months. I'm not sure if I will use it again.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Hmm. No, I always baby my hair. The only issue I have is that my crown area has more shrinkage and it doesn't grow as fast as the rest of my hair. I have noticed that it happens to most Naturals. I am in the process of changing that.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Deep Condition, Deep Condition, Deep Condition, do the LOC Method every time you wash or co-wash your hair to make sure your hair is always moisturized. Also, Please don't stress about your hair, be patient and take care of it as if it was your baby. You wouldn't want to harm your baby would you?
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.