1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Kaisha Huguley. I'm known as Naturally Kai on YouTube. I'm from Washington, D.C.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is between a 3c and 4a.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural on May 24, 2011 after my return from studying abroad for a semester in Ecuador. I was tired of getting my hair relaxed. My hair looked unhealthy and I just wasn't feeling the straight hair look anymore.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing about going natural when I first started was figuring out which products worked best for my hair texture. I found myself in the beauty supply store buying up the entire aisle! I must admit I am quite the product junkie.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
My weekly regimen varies between the seasons. However, as the warm weather approaches, I co-wash or deep condition weekly. Lately, I haven't done a whole lot of variety in styling, so I usually wear a twist out for the week and protective styles periodically.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I like to keep it simple and quick in the morning. I usually wake up and add a little moisture to my hair (water and some type of moisture milk), fluff and go on my way!
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night, I typically pineapple my hair or wrap my hair in a satin bonnet. I'll usually re-twist my hair a couple of times during the week when I have time.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Very little. I haven't used heat on my hair in months and I haven't straightened my hair since 2012. I had a very bad experience with heat damage so I'm careful when it comes to heat.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
Not really. I like braid outs, however, twists outs are my go-to.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I've been meaning to purchase another Denman brush, however, I usually use a tangle teaser.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
My hair is normally loose.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I had a hair tragedy in 2012 with heat damage. I tried experimenting by cutting the back of my hair short, however, I lost patience as the front had a lot of heat damage as well. I did my second big chop in 2012 which was much better than working with damaged hair. My hair got healthy quickly after my second big chop. I haven't straightened my hair sense.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Low manipulation! It's challenging for me not to touch my hair and want to play in it, however, a lot of times you can break your hair when you manipulate it too much.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.