1. What's your name and where are you from?
Kiki living in Atlanta, GA but originally from Chicago, IL.
2. What is your hair type?
I don't like to put my hair in this very limited category system. I have different textures ranging from loose curls to very tight curls.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I stopped relaxing in 2000 after my hair dresser suggested it. I have always suffered with scalp burns from relaxers so I was willing to give it a go.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Thinking that my hair texture would look like the girl on the box just by using the product in the box.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Now that I have shaved my head I don't have one and I am loving it!! I do moisturize my head/hair daily because my scalp gets dry just like the skin on any other area of the body.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
I rub my head down with a hair moisturizer that is basically a combination of oils and shea butter.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Absolutely nothing!! Now that I have shaved my head I don't even wear a du rag!
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
Not now since I don't have any hair to work with but when I had longer hair I would blow dry it from time to time to achieve a particular style.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I would put in box braids here and there during the summer when I was working out but did not add extensions.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Both!! With different textures some tools work on certain parts of my hair and others don't.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
When it was longer I would start with a protective do and then let it out and wear it loose for a few days before starting the process all over again.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I had my hair highlighted and then highlights on top of that so I began to experience breakage. I just cut all of the color damage off and started again. That was about 5 years ago.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Regularly moisturizing your hair (even in between styling sessions). Wearing protective styles such as twists. And alternating between a strengthening and moisturizing deep conditioner.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.