1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is K. Mishawn and I'm from a small city outside of Chicago, IL.
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is 4B/4C.
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I initially tried to go natural in 2010, but it didn't go as planned. I ended up relaxing my top crown area twice. By March of 2013 I had done lots of research and began transitioning. I did my mini big chop in April 2014 and I've been in love since.
My daughter who is going on 4 years old also played a huge role in my decision to go natural. We both have the same texture and she's so beautiful with her hair. I wanted to show her that I was confident enough to wear my hair that looked just liked hers and assure her that it is indeed beautiful.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
The most challenging thing about going natural was actually wearing my real hair and accepting my true hair texture. I got my 1st relaxer when I was 6 years old and I've been wearing weaves since I was in the 7th grade. It was a major adjustment that I felt was way overdue.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Once a week I make my own pre-poo mix (banana, egg, coconut milk, oil and honey). After 2-4 hours I rinse it out and wash it with either a sulfate-free shampoo or co wash conditioner and deep condition for another 1-2 hours. I then apply my L.O.C method, oil my scalp and style. I oil every 2-3 days with olive oil and re-moisturize as well. Here's my video:
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
In the morning I usually take down my twist-out or braid-out with a little coconut oil or I unwrap a protective style.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
At night I usually two strand twist or braid my hair (normally every 2-3 days). If I'm wearing a protective style, I just put on a satin bonnet.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I just recently straightened my hair after 15 months of no heat and transitioning. I only did it to check the length. I won't be straightening it again for another 6 to 12 months.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
I braid my hair often. I use braids as protective styles and I do braid-outs regularly.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
I prefer a wide-tooth comb for detangling my wet hair. I only use the denman brush to detangle dry hair.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Both. I usually only wear protective styles for 1 week because of my weekly hair regimen. I also miss my curls quickly.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes, my hair had broken off and became so brittle from the relaxer and daily heat use. Once I became natural my hair began to grow back much thicker. I began to love the difference.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Drink lots of water. And find products and a regimen that works for your hair. Give it daily TLC. It takes patience but just learn and grow with it. Trust me, it gets easier and better.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.