1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Michaelle Vilsa and I'm from Spring Valley, Ny
2. What is your hair type?
My hair type is 4a/4b
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went Natural May 2012. My hair was severely damaged and my dear good friend was telling me how severely damaged it was and telling me I needed to big chop and go natural, but I was scared! So later on she found an alternative and started braiding my hair with yarn...basically I was transitioning and I never looked back!
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Transitioning and people questioning my hair. People would like the new do, but there would be people that would question what was on top of my head. It became hard and humiliating, like they would make fun of my hair. And transitioning, I would have to cut my hair every time I took out the yarn cause of new growth, but I knew at the end of that humiliation...The prize was grand!
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Well I spray my water bottle every 2 days, put shea butter every 2 days, put oil every 3 days and wash my hair every week.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
As of now I have yarn so I just put it in a bun, lol!
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I put a satin scarf around my hair and a satin cover on my pillow... Don't wanna be too careful!
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
NOOOO! I refuse! Never again... I cannot!
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
If so, how often do you do so in a year? Well I keep it in every month and when I do take it out I leave it out 3-4 weeks and back to yarn... I've had the yarn since May 2012.
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Blue wide tooth comb.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Protective do, everyday!
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes!! OMG like I was in the city and I had a college audition and my hair was in twistout but it was snowing really hard and it was blowing everywhere. When I got to the building, I felt like the snow did something to my hair. As I entered the bathroom, my twists were done! Unraveled! Ugly! So I basically put it in a ponytail and did two bangs. Nailed my audition!
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
L.O.C: Liquid, Oil, Cream.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.