1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is MoniQue Highsmith and I am from Philadelphia, PA.
2. What is your hair type?
I have 4b/c hair
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I began my transition in October 2011. I wanted to go natural because I researched the ingredients in perms and I discovered that some of the same chemicals that are in perms, could be use for household cleaning products. My hair was heat and color damaged, and I wanted my hair back to health again. My ends were shedding constantly and I wanted a change, and I made that change
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Trying to find the products that worked for my hair texture/type.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Moisturize (spray bottle: water, leave in conditioner, grapeseed oil, coconut oil), seal with shea butter and twist.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Depends. If I am rocking a twist out, I put coconut oil on my hands and take down my twists. If I have a protective styles in, I moisturize with my spray bottle mixture and oil.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
Moisturize and twist or moisturize and do the band method.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
Normally loose nowadays.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
Yes. When I first went natural, I got "scissor happy." I cut off with the color I had left my hair and it was frustrating because my hair was uneven. I wanted to go to the salon and get it even again but I wanted to avoid it. Luckily, thank you for Youtube, I learned how to trim my hair properly :)
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Moisturize, protective styles, deep condition, and cleansing your scalp every month. PATIENCE IS KEY!
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.