1. What's your name and where are you from?
My name is Nia Everal and I am from London, UK
2. What is your hair type?
I would say my hair type is mostly 3C
3. When did you go natural and what made you do it?
I went natural in March 2010 because my mum had gone natural (I was envious of her curls) and I was becoming increasingly more aware of black hair politics.
4. What was the most challenging thing about going natural?
Discovering techniques and products that will work for my texture - natural hair is so individual I tried so many products and techniques until I finally found out what worked for me. No one YouTube Guru or blog or book will give you all the answer you just have to keep trying and modifying tips and techniques.
5. What is your weekly regimen?
Shampoo my hair once a week with Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo. I follow that up with a conditioning treatment my favourites are the Twisted Sista Hair Masque and Cantu Shea Butter Hair Masque. I usually wear my hair curly so to style my hair damp using leave-in conditioner and curl creme. I not a big fan of gels as it weighs down my curls and makes my hair crunchy although curl cream lack the longevity. Currently I’m using the Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier Leave-in and Curly Curl Cream. I sometimes use Castor Oil to seal my ends. I co-wash when my curls need revitalising and moisturising.
6. What is your daily morning regimen?
Spray some leave-in conditioner and water through my hair and clean up my edges with some gel or edge control products.
7. What is your daily night time regimen?
I pineapple my hair to keep definition and use a satin head scarf to keep my hair moisturised. I sleep on a satin pillowcase just in case the scarf slips off.
8. Do you use heat on your hair at all?
I use heat on special occasion and to length check.
9. Do you braid your hair? If so, how often do you do so in a year?
10. Wide-tooth comb or Denman brush?
Neither really. I prefer to finger detangle with conditioner preferably but if I had to choose one I’d say a wide-tooth comb.
11. Is your hair normally loose or in a protective-do?
I usually wear my hair loose in a wash and go style. I find that twists and braids don’t last well in my hair and therefore aren’t worth the effort. I sometimes do bun and tuck and roll hairstyles though.
12. Have you ever had a hair tragedy? What was it? How did you recover from it?
I’ve suffered from heat damage after straightening my hair from wet. I just kept trimming my hair and apply protein treatments to repair the damage.
13. What's your biggest tip for maintaining healthy or long hair?
Keep you hair well moisturised and conditioned.
14. Where can we find you online? (blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc).
Get your FREE ebook on How To Grow Long, Healthy Natural Kinky or Curly Hair.
Want to be featured as a Queen of Kinks, Curls & Coil?
Here's how to apply.
Who's The Queen of Kinks?
You are! Everyone is the queen of their own kinks, curls & coils. On this blog you can enjoy the natural hair journeys of dozens of curly queens.